While the Shopify Promotions tab gives you a pretty straightforward way to add discount codes to your site, the Navigation tab might surprise you with its versatility. Sure, you can use link lists to provide navigation to different sections of your site, but did you know that you can also use them to create collection landing pages, product galleries and more?
In your Shopify admin area, click Promotions.
You will see any discount codes you’ve already created as well as a link to create new ones. If you have previously used discount codes, you can quickly see how many times each code has been used.
Adding a new promotion
To create a new discount code, click the Add a discount code link just below the Promotions page title.
- Give your promotion a name. This will be the code the customer uses to redeem the coupon. You can enter your own unique name (such as SummerSpecials2012) or click the Generate link to generate a random code.
- Choose the Coupon Type. You can choose between a dollar discount (using the currency set in your Preferences), a percentage discount, or free shipping.
- To create a dollar discount, enter the amount you want to discount each order. You can further restrict this code by selecting a filter from the next drop-down menu: all orders, orders over, collection or specific product. Choosing any option other than all orders will give you additional filtering options.
- To create a percentage discount, enter the percentage by which each order will be discounted. You can further restrict the code by selecting filters.
- To create a free shipping discount, enter the maximum rate that qualifies for free shipping. You can further filter this by country.
- Edit the Coupon Details. The default sets the coupon to start today, be valid until it is (manually) deactivated, and to have unlimited uses. You can click any of those links to edit the parameters of the coupon to set a start and end date and to limit uses.
- When you are happy with your coupon, click the Create discount button.
To deactivate a coupon at any time, you can always click the Disable discount button to the right of your coupon in the list of active discounts.
More Promotion options
Below the coupon list are three additional promotional tools.
- Google Product Search: To publish your products to Google Product Search, click the Publish them now button. You must be logged in to the Google account associated with your shop to complete this process.
- Google Experiments: To perform A/B testing on your shop, click the Create a New Experiment button. You can choose the element of your shop you’d like to use for multivariate testing and follow the instructions to start a new experiment.
- Shopify Marketing Apps: click the link to the Shopify App Store to add marketing apps to your site.
In your Shopify admin, click Navigation.
You will see all of the link lists you have created for your site. Link lists are organized with the default link lists displayed first and any custom link lists displayed in alphabetical order by list name. Each link list has individual links to sections of your site or external web pages.
A “link list” is a block of links. Each link list has its own name and a unique handle for use in themes. Each shop includes two default link lists (Main Menu and Footer) but you can add an unlimited number of custom link lists, in addition to being able to add, change and delete the links in both of the default lists.
Adding New Links
- Choose the existing menu you’d like to add a link to and click the Add link button.
- Give your link a name. This will be the text that appears on your site (for example, if you’re linking to your Blog and want the link to say My Thoughts, you would enter My Thoughts here).
- Choose the section of your site you want to link to from the first drop-down menu. You may link to a blog, your shop front page, a collection, a page, an individual product, a search page, or an external URL.
- In the second drop-down menu, you can further refine your link choice. For example, if you’re linking to a product, you can choose the product from the drop-down menu.
- Click Add link to add your link to the link list.
If you’re linking to a collection, you can filter the display by tags. So if you have a collection of tee shirts and you want your navigation link to only display shirts that have been tagged “holiday,” you can do so without having to create an additional collection.
Editing Existing Links
- Find the link list you’d like to edit and click the Edit link list link next to the list’s title. The entire link list becomes editable.
- Find the link you’d like to change.
- Make your edits by changing the information in the Link Name or Links To fields.
- Click the Save Changes button to save your changes.
Creating a New Link List
- Click Add link list below the title at the top of the Navigation page.
- Give your link list a name and click the Add Link List button.
- Follow the instructions above to add new links to your list.
Adding a Link List to Your Theme
Editing theme files requires knowledge of HTML and Liquid. Do not edit live theme files if you’re not sure what you’re doing! Always back up your theme before making changes.
- Go to Themes > Template Editor. Choose the section of your theme you’d like to add the link list to from the list of available template files on the left. The template file will open in the editor.
- Find the place in the template file where you’d like to add your link list.
- Enter the code for your link list. (In the example below, you are using a conditional tag to check to see if the link list “footer” has any links in it, and if so, creating a paragraph with the class of links and displaying each link in it.)
- Save your template file
Doing More With Link Lists
Want to get a little fancy with link lists? Here are some cool tutorials for using link lists in ways you may not expect:
- Featuring Collections Using a Link List
- Creating a Landing Page for All Your Collections
- Filtering Collections Using Link Lists (forum post)
- Collection or Page Based Smart Sub-Navigation Menus (forum post)
- Offer Gift Wrap Using Link Lists
Next Up: Blogs & Pages.